Kristy Laughed

"Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything to hard for the Lord?" ~Genesis 18-13-14a

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Passion of the Christ

So after talking to Hannah, she assured me that it's ok to play back-up blog as I actually have a lot I've wanted to write about and not had time.

So the Wednesday before Easter during the middle of Holy Week, I was with five of my youth and we watched the Passion of the Christ. I remember when this movie first came out. I went and saw it opening night, Ash Wednesday 2004... just over three years ago. That night was a very powerful night for me as would be this one. The Gospel stories are some of my favorite to read over and over again, but there is something very dissheveling about watching a reenactment of my Lord and Savior being beaten beyond recognition with Satan scoffing in the background. Talk about making your faith uncomfortable!

For four of my youth it was the first time they'd seen it. Three of which are brothers had started it, but once they realized it was in Aramaic and that it wasn't "entertaining" turned it off and replaced it with something. So this time, I forwarned them. This was not a popcorn and candy movie and that there were going to be very disturbing scenes that would make them feel uncomfortable in their own skin. And it did. But they watched... they asked questions... they noticed some of the inconsistencies which seemed to puzzle and almost irritate them.

Afterward, just like the night I'd seen it in the theatre it was silent. When we began talking about their questions and thoughts I could tell that they hadn't ever thought about this happening to someone in real life. So many movies have scenes where someone is beaten very badly, but this was striking because they know in their hearts that this happened to their Lord and that it wasn't under the careful supervision of a director and stunt coordinator.

What a way to start off the "celebration" of Holy Week! While it was only a few of us, I know for those youth it was something that they won't easily forget. That the images will sneak up on them and remind them of the intensity of what their Lord did for them.

So many times we have this pretty picture of Jesus... up on the cross... head bowed... eyes closed... but he's pretty. This was not a pretty picture of Jesus but an as real as we can probably get picture of Jesus. As we live in a media driven world where books are rarely read but pictures truly speak more than a thousand words, they have to be forever changed. Why? Because no one can hear the Word of God in any format and not be forced to make a decision. No one can hear the Word of God and not realize that they are in conflict with themselves. Sometimes the decisino is to try and ignore what we heard or say, but we can't. It's there. And in our hearts God is working, stirring our emotions, our realities, our logic and calls us to see what he was done for us. He's making us uncomfortable in the world so that we can be prepared for what is to come.

So get yourself uncomfortable. Allow his word to penetrate. And no matter where you are on your faith walk, God is working.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home