Kristy Laughed

"Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything to hard for the Lord?" ~Genesis 18-13-14a

Friday, April 11, 2008

The Saga Continues

Ah....Life! It's an uphill battle with all sorts of fun obsticales on the way. I was just reading a friends blog about her desire to be accountable about weight and actually doing something about it. For those of you who know me, weight has always been a struggle but it's something that I feel I can overcome. When I move to GB I had a hard time adjusting... a new job, a new house, a much more hectic schedule, knowing no one, and dealing with a break-up. Over the last couple of years I've been off and on Weight Watchers, but didn't really commit to it like I had in OKC.

Thankfully God has given me that courage again. See, I think it's rather ironic that so many church workers are over weight. It may not seem so bad, but it's like we are wearing our sin on our sleeves...or on our thighs! We encourage families to take time for themselves and we talk about how glutteny is a sin, but then we put very unhealthy foods in our body because we don't prioritize well and remember that our bodies are temples to the Lord.

Last Aug. I decided it was time to rejoin WW and do it... lose or gain... struggle or easy... I'm in. It's been slower this time because I've allowed it to be. I'm trying to truly instill in my life healthy habits for my body and not just "lose the weight." I can honestly say that in the last several months I've grown tremediously in how I view food. I've noticed when I'm eating because it's there and not because I actually want it. I've began planning more, making eating at home more of a priority and being forthright with people about my struggles and where I'm going.

So last night another friend of mine who recently got married asked how I was doing on WW. Her husband is an amazing guy and loves her no matter her size. Whenever she brings up that she's unhappy he says he will do whatever she needs, but that she's happy with her how she is. She had joined with me before her wedding but because her finace (at the time) loved her how she was she decided it wasn't important.

She is planning on joining with me again and I hope that she does. But I also hope that she comes at it with the right mindset. It's hard but so many times we're like... well maybe 10lbs. Or we put time limits or "if I don't do this then I'm done" or we fail one day and give up on the rest. But I've learned it's not like that and I need to not allow others mindsets to become mine. It's a journey that is going to take a while. I set goals, but I'm not freaked out if it's not exact because I know the circumstances that may have made part of the journey longer and what makes other parts fly by! As long as I stay on the road, I'm not worried if I have to build a bridge along the way.

They say that having a friend there to support you is helpful. And I agree. But I've had friends join with me and their hearts weren't in it and I wound up following them down the undone path back to where I was.

And even more so, my best support has come in the form of one of my "skinny" friends. She's amazing. She was there with me the first time through and was an amazing encouragement. And now, even though she's over 1,000 miles away she is still one of my biggest encouragers. She is there when I need the extra push to go to the gym after a long day or for ideas or for verbal "go-get-it-ness" and I appriciate it. She helps me visualize where I'll be and that's nice because sometimes it's hard to get there on your own. And she's always there to celebrate even the smallest of successes.

And today I am celebrating! Yesterday afternoon I accomplished something besides losing weight. For the first time in a VERY long time (probably decades) I jogged an entire mile without stopping in just over 14 minutes. Now I understand that it isn't crazy fast, but I wasn't dead afterward. Actually I completed over 3.6 miles while I was out. But it was the fact that I was able to endure and reach my goal of not stopping.

So to all of my friends to whom weight is a struggle, I encourage you to celebrate the small steps and not let yourself be run down! And when you fall get back up and endure the race!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home